Information Architecture, User Experience Design; Usability Testing, User Research
Certified Scrum Product Owner; Product Management; Web Analytics
SOFTWARE & LANGUAGES
OmniGraffle Pro, Adobe Creative Suite 5 (Fireworks, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop), Adobe Premiere Pro
Versed on Mac, PC, iOS, Android, Windows Phone platforms
NVIDIA, Santa Clara, CA, August 2012 – present
Senior Interaction Designer
- One of the major designers working on a rare opportunity and Labs project: NVIDIA’s first mobile gaming devices SHIELD Portable and SHIELD Tablet, from concept discovery to product launch: rated as the “best mobile gaming console” by TechCrunch and “best handheld gaming console available” by Forbes
- Define NVIDIA normalized controller mapping; profile Android OS, apps, and games to better work with the game console to enhance the gamer experience on mobile platforms
- Lead the UX design for the open source Miracast wireless display technology, making game playing and movie watching on the TV from Android devices possible
- Design Tegra Android apps and widgets running on the next generation Tegra devices
lynda.com, Inc. Carpinteria, CA, March 2010 – August 2012
User Experience Designer
- Led lynda.com’s e-Commerce redesign initiative and re-create member acquisition experience through visual refreshment, interaction design enhancements, and prototype user testing
- Led the user experience design for lynda.com’s iPhone and iPad apps, work closely with Engineering from ideation to product launch, bringing in over 120,000 App Store downloads as of September 2011
- Defined the fundamental information architecture and designed lynda.com’s mobile site, bringing users learning on the go across mobile platforms: iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Mobile; led and product managed the site alpha and beta launches that brought approximately 6TB of consumer data consumption every month
- Product managed and designed the lynda.com Microsoft Office Ribbon Plug-in and support lyndaEnterprise and Sales initiatives
- Defined the information architecture and designed the author portal, a one-stop portal for lynda.com’s potential and existing authors to view online royalty statements and the author handbook
- Led the user research initiatives, set up the first usability environment, and brought in user research awareness and user-centered design process to the work culture.
- Managed one direct report and conducted in-house usability testing, remote testing, automated user testing, and guerilla testing to support product design
Bargain Network, Inc. Santa Barbara, CA, July 2008 – March 2010
- An important contributor to launch the website ForeclosedHomes.com in a quick paced environment and under strict deadlines
- Created website/application deliverables including conceptual diagrams, site maps, interaction flows, wireframes, functional specifications, use cases, and content inventories
- Identified, documented, and monitored the functional aspects, standards, and style architecture of the websites
- Conducted A/B, multivariate testing, track web analytics, conversion, and sales to define and prioritize user experience and ROI based projects and measure successes
- Set up the company’s 1st Usability Lab and conduct formal or guerilla user research via focus groups and usability tests to better serve product intent and overall usability, resulting in 48% increase in conversion and 17% increase in user satisfaction
- Created SEO friendly navigation, content, and page tagging that increased the total number of Google indexed pages from 2k to 86k in 2 months.
University of Washington, College of Engineering, Seattle, WA , September 2007 – June 2008
User-centered Engineering Education Research Associate II
- Conducted workshops for junior/senior engineering students to build their online professional portfolio
- Studied how professional portfolio can help students’ learning and knowledge transfer
- Maintained lab and participant recruiting website, logistics; data management
Community Empowerment Network, Seattle, WA, January 2008 – September 2008
Web Content Lead (Contract)
- Managed the written content for the website and ensured the content matches marketing strategy and priorities
- Coordinated among web masters, writers, editors, and report to the President
Incaa Designs, Seattle, WA
User Interface Architect (Contract), April 2008 – July 2008
- Managed the information architecture of the organization’s website, and maintain the website update
- Designed data analysis code book and coding scheme, analyze the user interface research study data
Illinois Institute of Technology, Lewis Department of Humanities, Chicago, IL, June 2006 – June 2007
Teaching Assistant, Office Assistant
- Assisted instructor in assembling teaching materials and related research on the Web
- Managed students’ information in a proprietary database-driven system
- Assisted about 40 faculty members and teaching assistants and reported directly to Department Chair
People’s Bank of China, Nanjing Branch, China, April 2005 – July 2005
Competition Performance Consultant (Contract)
- Developed training schedule and a performance handbook
- Tailored training strategies for each participant and won the first place in the competition
Cyrus Tang Foundation Anhui University Annual Magazine, Hefei, China, September 2003 – July 2005
- Content planning and manuscript review, selection, and scheduling
- Editorial assistant supervision and budget management
- STC (Society of Technical Communication) International Scholarship (2008)
- “Highest Standard of Academic Achievement” at Illinois Institute of Technology (2007)
- Illinois Institute of Technology Graduate Fellowship (full scholarship and stipend), for consecutive two years (2006-2007)
- “Double Excellence Graduate” in Anhui Province, China (2005) (outstanding in both grades and morality, the highest award that can be given to a Chinese graduate)
- Excellent Student Scholarship, First Prize, four consecutive years (2001-2005)
- Cyrus Tang undergraduate fellowship, four consecutive years (2001-2005)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING EVENTS
Top Coder STEM Poster Design Contest qualifier (with NVIDIA UX team). Washington DC, November, 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Future of Mobile Gaming”. Tech in Motion Events, San Jose, CA, September 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Toss the Agile Rituals, Be Agile”. UXPA 2013, Washington DC, July 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Intro to User Experience” Guest speaking at University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio, November, 2012.
Kejun Xu. “Think Big, Start Small, Focus on the Core: Lessons Learned from an Overdue Mobile Site”. IA Summit, New Orleans, LA, March 2012.
Kejun Xu. Review of Tidwell, Designing Interfaces, Technical Communication, Vol 51, no. 1, November 2011.
Kejun Xu. “UIE Web App Master Tour Take-away: Mobile Design” 9th Santa Barbara User Experience Meetup, Carpinteria, CA, June 23, 2011.
Kejun Xu. “Conversion Rates: Small Design Tweaks that Make a Difference” IA Summit, Phoenix, AZ, April, 2010.
Kejun Xu. “Showcase Of Web Design In China: From Imitation To Innovation” Smashing Magazine, March 15, 2010.
Kejun Xu. “Product Communication and Consumer Experience by Emotional Design” Proceedings of 73rd Association for Business Communication Annual Convention, Lake Tahoe, NV, Oct. 2008.
Carol Taylor, Kejun Xu, Ona Anicello, Scott Somohano & Judy Ramey. “Skimming the Surface: Understanding Real World Mobile Internet Use” Proceedings of Mobile HCI 2008, The Netherlands, September 2008.
Association for Business Communication, IEEE Professional Communication Society, IA Institute, Puget Sound SigChi
Ph.D. course work in Human-Centered Design and Engineering
Department of Human-Centered Design and Engineering
University of Washington, Seattle, WA; GPA: 3.72/4.0
M.S. in Technical Communication and Information Design, with honors
Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago, IL; GPA: 4.0/4.0
UX COMMUNITY SUPPORT
Organizer, Santa Barbara User Experience Meetup (meetup.com/SB-UX-Meetup), growing the member base from 3 to 160 members within a year and organizing featured speaker talks every other month.
Conference proceedings reviewer, ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
Judger, the annual Chicago STC (Society for Technical Communication) Technical Publications, Art, and Online Competition